Oral Presentation Guidelines & Tips
Students who have received confirmation of an oral presentation (in place of poster presentation) should follow the guidelines and tips below. An announcement will be made leading up to the Symposium regarding availability of the laptop that will be used for you to check your presentation prior to the event.
Please note the following points when preparing your presentation.
- 13 minutes for presentation, 5 minutes for questions
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.PPT or .PPTX) files only
- Font size at least 18-point, including captions
- Include a slide in your presentation that relates your research to industry or discusses societal impact
- Videos can be played, but there will be no sound
- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE - time yourself, rehearse with your friends/lab mates/family/pet
the committee if you have any questions regarding the oral presentation guidelines.
A summary of presentation tips is provided below to aid your preparation.
Please keep in mind that anything you present at the Symposium constitutes a public disclosure. This means you should consider removing all confidential information from the presentation if you are interested in patent protection and have not yet filed a patent application. For more information please read 'Have an Idea?
' on the USC Stevens Center for Innovation